Geographical LocationSapozhok district is situated in the southeastern part of the Ryazan region, it is 150km away from the regional centre. Water source is formed by the Para, the Pozhva, the Mashka and the Most’ya rivers. Sapozhok’s deposit of high mineralized ferriferous peat is unique and the peat itself is analogous to that of the famous Czech health resort Frantishkove-Lazne.
Under Sapozhok there is a cavitation, a so-called mould, the bottom of which lies on the deposits of Jurassic and cretaceous periods. The mould is filled with mineral water, which, according to State Standard (GOST) 13273-83, is drinkable medicinal and table water of the XXI group. The water can be used in the course of heath resort treatment; it is also suitable for bottling. It is known to the general public as «Pushkarskaya» brand.
Brief HistoryThe territory of the Sapozhok district has been inhabited since ancient times. This statement can be proved by numerous buried treasures that were found here. These treasures contained ancient coins of different periods: IX century dirhems, the Golden Horde Khans’ coins, the coins of of Ivan III, Ivan the Terrible, and Boris Godunov’s rule; XV century silver coins of Ryazan Grand Princes.
In the middle of the XIV century the southern and the southeastern borders of Russia were fortified. A vast scale of building was set up: towns, fortifications and lines of defense (the Great Abatis Border in particular) were created and developed. Together with the Great Abatis Border a military town of Sapozhok was built. In 1780 Catherine the Great herself approved the general structure plan of the town. Sapozhok officially became the administrative, economic and cultural centre of the Sapozhok district, with its vast territory and big population.
Cultural and Educational TourismThe Sapozhok Museum of local lore
The museum occupies the building of the former religious school built in the XIX century. It offers a number of exhibitions: «Archeology and Paleontology», «The History of the Sapozhok district of the XIII-XVII centuries», «The Ethnography of the Sapozhok District», «Old Russian Art», and «The Famous Citizens of Sapozhok».
Address: Ryazan Region, Sapozhok, Sovietskaya st., 28
Tel.: (49152) 2-18-16
Sovietskaya Street (in the middle of the XIX century)
Sovietskaya Street (former Sobornaya) is the central road of Sapozhok, its compositional pivot stretching from the northern to the southern fringe of the town. Judging by the oldest of the preserved houses, the development of the street began as early as in the middle of the XIX century. The residence and public buildings in the street were created between 1880-s and 1910-s. At that time representatives of merchantry and lower middle class were the main building developers. The public buildings ( the All-estate Club, the Military Court, the District Council House) were developed by the Sapozhok district council.
The street is crossed at right angle by three other streets. Both sides of Sovietskaya Street are built up mainly with brick houses. The corner buildings received special attention: they are prominent due to their size and are thoroughly decorated on the outside. Most buildings are eclectic in their form, combining elements of Baroque and Classicism.
The residence and public building complex of the central street of Sapozhok is noteworthy due to its integrity and uniformity of planning. The street specifies the town’s architectural “appearance” and is now considered to be a unique architectural monument.
The pottery of the village of Alexandro-Praskov’inka dates back to the XVII-XVIII centuries. The craft existed in the village up to the end of the XX century. Nowadays the village is the home of a hereditary potter, Timofei Andreyevich Kondrashov (1913 being his year of birth), who is the honoured citizen of the Sapozhok district and the laureate of a National Award «Dusha Rossii-2004» («The Heart of Russia — 2004») for the merit of developing folk arts and crafts.
Watch Oak (Krasnyi Ugol village)
The first security posts, «karauly» originated as early as in the second half of the XIV century. These were oak trees standing separately on the plain which were spaced by several versts (1.067 km). Under each oak tree there were two watchmen with horses, one of them sat in the oak and the other fed the saddled horses.
The oak tree that nowadays stands in the vicinity of Krasnyi Ugol used to be one of those «Watch Oaks». It grows on a hill and gives an opportunity to see the vast territory around it. Near the watch oak there is a spring called by local people «Fillipov rodnik» («Philip’s spring»).
The village of Krasnoye is the family residence of the Osterman dukes. The Russian branch of the Osterman family existed for 280 years. It started with the most famous representative of the Ostermans, the vice-chancellor of the epoch that followed Peter the Great’s rule, Duke Andrei Ivanovich Osterman. In 1817 he donated money for the creation of Troitskii (Trinity) Church in the village of Krasnoye. It has preserved in its vault the family tomb of the Ostermans.
Morozovy Borki village
The village was built in 1657. In 1817 Pokrovskaya Church was built there. Near the church lies the Gobyato family tomb. Leonid Nikolayevich Gobyato was an outstanding military leader, a scientist, the inventor of the mortar launcher, a veteran of the Russo-Japanese War.
Pilgrim TourismThe Church of Mikhail the Archangel (Mikhei village)
The church was built in 1770 by General in Chief V.M. Dolgorukov. Since 1992 the church has been the metochion of the Moscow Svyato-Danilivsky Friary. Not far from the village of Mikhei lies the priory of venerable Sergius of Radonezh. The number of the brethren in the priory is constantly growing; the priory is also a site of pilgrimage.
Priory tel.: (49152) 2-12-75
Mikhei Church tel.: (49152) 2-47-00, 2-47-77
The Rehabilitation Treatment Department of the Sapozhok District Central Hospital welcomes those who want to undergo a course of health-improving peloid treatment. It is based on the usage of Sapozhok’s medicinal peat, which has been internationally recognized as having a great therapeutic effect. It is valued highly by surgeons, neurologists and gynaecologists.
Medical profile: respiratory diseases, locomotor disorders, chronic gynaecological diseases, skin diseases.
Address: Ryazan Region, Sapozhok
Tel.: (49152) 2-10-03, 2-11-68